(original journal in regular text, personal comments italicized below)
Mon - 12/6/04
- Woke @8:30 a.m. - got ready for hotel continental bfast
- Bfst w/Allen downstairs - Mom not ready (ok), croissant & cafe/bread w jelly
Dear mom is just not a morning person and would rather stay back and get all glammed up for our big day in Paris. Can't say that I blame her - but adrenaline was in high gear for me.
- took metro to stop for tour (open bus)
- rode @3+ hours touring Eiffel tower, Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Champs-Élysées, etc.
Academie Nationale de Musique
Arc du Triomphe du Caroussel
Arc de Triomphe
- Lunch by Louvre, "Le nemours" restoirante (Ham swch & double espresso)
- Louvre - saw Mona Lisa, Venus di Milo, etc.
Standing in front of Venus de Milo
Winged Victory of Samothrace
Touring the Louvre
- drink in Louvre (Coke Light)
French equivalent of "Diet Coke" only way more expensive.
- Shopped at gift shop - gifts Vickie/kids/books
- Took tour bus back through route & saw lights - Tower & Arc, etc.
Notre Dame de Paris
Champs-Élysées at night
la Ville Lumière ("City of Lights")
- Supposed to meet A's friend, instead stopped & took bus to cafe near hotel
- ate in Turkish Donner kabob (veggie) cafe, got Coke to take home ("cheeboogie Coke guys")
Felt just like SNL episode when ordering our meal. The Turkish cafe guys were an absolute hoot.
- Stopped at nearby shoppe for dessert (baclava & others)
- Owner from Muldova, Tunisia, & Algeria
- Allen called friend & canceled
I was completely spent and not willing to take another metro ride downtown. Exhaustion set in... time for a rest back at the hotel.
- Washed hair & watched CNN
One less thing to worry about in the morning - saved at least 1/2 hr.
- heard that US Consulate in Saudi bombed
Very odd listening to news spoken in French. Talk about culture shock.