Friday, December 3rd, 2004
- Fog delayed London flight
Meaning: we reached the airport but the fog was so heavy we didn't leave until well after midnight. Uggh, as if I wasn't jet-lagged enough.
- Took bus to Bergamo, Italy
- Flew to Sanstedt, London
Picture the three of us walking the empty early morning streets trying to get directions to our hotel from ANYONE, including cabbies who (one) was nice enough to stop and give us some sort of clue as to where we needed to go. Fortunately, we were able to navigate via the map system posted throughout London.
- Bus to Victoria Station, London
That was interesting - you would not believe the people we ran into along the underground bus system. Peddlers, mostly.
- Walk from station to hotel (not Hanover 1st night)
- Sleep at 4:30 a.m. (very tired)
"Very tired" being the understatement of the century after the all-nighter and a half.
- Woke up early - 8:40 a.m.
- Tour Bus (open top)
Mom kicks back in upper level of tour bus.
- Trafalgar Square stopped (photos)
Mom and Allen pose in front of fountain, Trafalgar Square
- Sherlock Holmes Pub (fish and chips)
Me in front of Sherlock Holmes pub - best fish & chips
- Photos at Lord Nelson Monument
Mom and Me
- Whitehall, horses, Scotland Yard, Downing Street, Cabinet Buildings, Parliament, Big Ben
The infamous Big Ben
- Bus to London Bridge/Starbucks
- Walked across London Bridge
Warming up w/Starbucks latte on bridge
- Walked to London Dungeon
- Girls w/halos
No idea what this was all about... 'halos'?
- Bus over London Bridge
Random passengers atop bus over London Bridge
- Dropped off at London Tower
- Shopping at gift shoppe
- WOW! Boat ride down Thames
Me, Mom, Allen on boat in Thames River
London Tower view from Thames River
City of London view from Thames River
View of London Eye from boat in Thames (dark!)
- Off at embankment, on the bus
- Bus to Victoria Station
- Walked .5 mile to Hard Rock (50 min wait for table, skipped dinner & shopped at store)
At this point, I started experiencing painful shin splints possibly due to dehydration. Ugh. But the walk was worth buying Hubs a Hard Rock Cafe - London t-shirt!
- Walked back to Victoria
- Ate dinner at Garfunkel's in mall (spent 15 pd/40 M&A, stiffed waitress - no split ticket)
That's right, we actually stiffed the waitress for not splitting our bill. Such rude Americans? Yikes. Well, at least I was able to get a taste of my English heritage with a meal topped off with peas, a favorite.
- Shopped for pop.
- Walked to Hanover Hotel.
- Called home - tried from 9:40-10:40 - couldn't get out!! :(
For an entire hour straight, we tried and tried to get a phone connection back to the States to no avail. Finally, sleep took over.